It's Okay to Ask "Why?"

In the last 6 months, I've asked God "Why?" several times.

When a precious 4 year old girl lost her battle with cancer...I asked God "Why?"

When there were four coffins lined across the front of our church...four children murdered by their father...I asked God "Why?"

When I met with a family last week who just lost their 8 year old son...I asked God "Why?"

When one of our teenage volunteers is facing surgery next week for a brain tumor...I asked God "Why?"

When I journey with a family whose son has been battling through cancer...I asked God, "Why?"

Some would say to never question God...but I don't think that is realistic. There are times when we don't understand why something happens. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't seem fair. And when those times come, it's okay to look to God and ask "Why?" Sometimes you may get an answer, but many times you will not.

I am reminded that even Jesus asked "Why?" As He hung on the cross, He uttered the words, "My God, my God, WHY have You forsaken me?"

As I journey with families through the "Why?" times of life...I usually don't try to provide an answer. Any answer I would give would seem superficial. I simply let them know that it's okay to ask "Why?" I remind them that no matter what happens...God is a good God...He loves them...even when things don't make sense.

Posted by Dale Hudson